I’m not going to kid anyone, I started packing about a month ago! Why not? All the clothes I want for Orlando aren’t going to be worn in the Winter in the UK; shorts, t-shirts, sandals etc. But packing over a month in advance does also mean re-packing a few times (maybe 4 or 5 times for me). However it also means you’ll know what things you have forgotten by the third re-pack as well as things you need to go out and buy such as suncream, shaving gel, etc.
You’ll never be finished packing until the morning you leave for the plane but you can be as close as possible!
So the initial packing is more of an excited pack. Things you have been buying specifically for this holiday. For me these were things such as Disney t-shirts, Mickey ears, hats, Mickey backpack, shoes and other little bits. Later on I’ll put a full list of things that we have packed that may come in handy as a check list. I just put all of these bits, unorganised into my suitcase and put my suitcase into another room to sit for a week or so. I didn’t put it far because each time I came across something I wanted to take I could put it either in a little pile or straight into the suitcase.
The next pack that I did was more strategic and organised. This was where I started putting my shoes at the bottom and then clothes on top. Making sure I had enough tops, shorts, jeans, skirts, dresses and not forgetting swimwear and flipflops. This pack then started the non-clothes items such as bags, cables, accessories etc. Even this pack wasn’t perfect though but it contained a lot more than the first pack.
My third pack which could be the last pack was me making sure everything that could be in there was in there. At this point I was still finding things around the house that I wanted to pack or get to pack such as a new razor, jackets (because I forgot I might need a jacket!) It was also on this pack that I thought of plug adaptors and how many I might need – phone charger (1), laptop charger (2), GoPro/battery pack (3), watch (4), Ipad charger (5), hairdryer (6) – so I need at minimum 5 or 6 adaptors, I probably won’t be having everything on charge at the same time but there isn’t just me on this holiday so 6 is a good idea to go for. Extra things such as a cooling towel, which is a smallish towel that you soak in water, wring out and then snap in the air like a whip – it then gives an instant cooling effect without making you wet. These can be found anywhere online such as Amazon.
It was at this stage that I got a pen and paper and wrote down EVERYTHING that I packed, 2 weeks is a long time and if I can help it I don’t want to forget anything. You can’t include things that you’re still using such as make up and hair brushes because they’re not going into the suitcase until the very last moment before leaving the house. It was at this point that we decided to purchase travel scales for the suitcases to make sure that we don’t go over the weight limit going out and coming back. This also means that there will not be any extra charges at the airport, over weight bags cost a fortune!
Nevertheless everything else can be packed, here is our list:
- Mickey Ears
- Hair Accessories
- Body Wash
- Body Scrub
- Shaving Cream
- Hair Brush
- Lip Balm
- Face Wash
- External Battery Pack
- Go Pro
- Plug Adaptors
- Charging Cables
- Waterproof Phone Bags
- Cooling Towel (See post for info)
- Travel Scales for Suitcase
It is your choice what goes into your hold luggage and what goes into your hand luggage. Although we have never lost a suitcase before we always pack spare clothing into our hold luggage as you can never be 100% sure that your suitcase will make it to your destination with you.
- Get your liquids airport ready in a plastic sealable food bag – it must seal and not just tie at the top or you will be asked to put it into a different sealable bag.
- Make sure the liquids bag is 1L maximum, although everything must be 100ML/G or less, you can carry a total of 1L worth of liquids in your bag.
- All balms, creams, Lush lip scrubs are classed as liquids.
- Your Hold luggage CANNOT have any aerosol or liquid bigger than 750ML on it’s own – this isn’t as advertised, however when it is screened it may get pulled for over sized aerosol or liquids and you will have to go back to security to have this rectified.
- Hold luggage can contain up to a maximum of 2L in aerosols, any more than that and they need to be in a different suitcase.
- If you fail to return to security when your name is announced on the tannoy then you will be allowed on the flight however your luggage will not and you won’t realise until you reach your destination.
- All lighters and e-cigs MUST go into your hand luggage and must be placed into a liquids bag. No lighters, lighter fluid or gas is permitted in the hold.